Welcome to the 14th CFFF Memorial Ceremony. The 2017 Honourary Host is the Halifax Regional Fire and Emergency Services.
Below is a list of events and activities to take place over the duration of the memorial weekend. While in the nation’s capital, we hope you will have an opportunity to visit the many sites and museums. To find out more visit; www.ottawatourism.ca and www.canadascapital.gc.ca .
We ask that all those attending respect the Families of the Fallen at all times while in Ottawa.
1) Friday, September 8th – City of Ottawa Fire Services Memorial, City Hall, 110 Laurier Ave.
IMPORTANT - PLEASE NOTE! For the City of Ottawa Fire Fighters Memorial ceremony on Friday, September 8th, there will not be the usual parade from Elgin St. BANDS, UNIFORMED Fire Fighters and other First Responders wishing to participate, will assemble at Cartier Drill Hall east of City Hall at 11:00am in preparation for the 'short on site Parade’ to the Ottawa Fire Services FF Monument / Ceremony.
The Ceremony will commence at the municipal memorial at 12:00pm.
At the conclusion of the of the Ottawa ceremony, you are invited to come and have a closer look at the monument while enjoying a Brass and Pipes performance of 'Highland Cathedral'. Both Bands then break off on site. Reception at City Hall.
2) CFFF Merchandise and Souvenir Store
Located in the O’Connor Room in the Ottawa Sheraton Hotel, 150 Albert Street.
Hours of operation: Friday, September 8 (4:00 – 9:00pm); Saturday, September 9th
(08:30 am – 7:00pm) and Sunday, September 10th (At the conclusion of the memorial
ceremony until 2:00pm).
3) Ceremony Briefing and Rehearsal – Saturday, September 9th - NEW START TIME IS 10:30 am.
Participants are requested to meet at the CFFF Memorial site.
Located at the intersection of Lett St. and the Sir John A MacDonald Parkway on LeBreton
- We encourage fire fighters who wish to learn or brush up on their parade drill to attend.
- Fire service flag (colour) parties will be under the direction CFFF Colour Guard commander, Luigi Davoli.
- All other firefighters will make up the Honour Guard under direction of the parade commander and ceremony director, John Sobey, CWO (CF, Retired) Bruce Paradis and CWO (CF) Gerard Slaunwhite.
- Uniforms are NOT required for the rehearsal.
- All pipers and drummers will meet under the direction of Pipe Major Gary Ford.
- Briefing and Rehearsal will proceed rain or shine.
4) CFFF Meet and Greet. - Saturday, September 9th - 2:00 – 6:00pm
- The House of Commons Fire Systems and Prevention Unit and CFFF Ambassadors Céline Guerin, Joel Beriault and Mike Dunlop will host our firefighter and families “Meet and Greet” in the Centre Block, room 237 - C on Parliament Hill from 14:00 – 18:00hrs.
- Access is through public entrance below the Peace Tower.
- Photo ID required and it helps to be wearing the CFFF pin which can be purchased at the CFFF store at the Ottawa Sheraton.
- Tours specific for CFFF participants of the Centre Block will be arranged. For further information or to reserve a tour, contact Celine by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org . The tours will depart from the event room 237-C.
- The CFFF is very grateful to have this event sponsored by “Levitt Safety”.
5) Pints and Pipers at the Highlander Pub – Saturday evening, September 9th
- While there are many pubs and restaurants to visit in the market area and Elgin Street, two locations have become popular with visiting firefighters and their families.
- At the Highlander Pub (115 Rideau at Williams) or Sir John A’s (284 Elgin Street) you will usually find a few pipers and drummers having a good time!
6) CFFF Parade Muster - Sunday, September 10th.
- The 14th Annual Canadian Fallen Firefighters Memorial Ceremony will take place at the CFFF Memorial, Lebreton Flats.
- Fire Service personnel wishing to participate in the ceremony are requested to appear in full dress uniform with medals and head dress.
- Muster point is the Garden of the Provinces and Territories Park (https://plus.google.com/101181591725758072582/about?gl=ca&hl=en) no later than 09:30
- Remember to turn off or place on silent all electronic devices.
- Sunglasses are not to be worn.
- No white gloves except for colour party members.
- In the event of inclement weather, departmental/service rain coats should be worn.
For further enquiries, e-mail to: email@example.com